Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Minivan Mom

You know, I never thought I'd own a minivan. Seriously. In high school I swore up and down that when I had kids I'd just buy an SUV and viola- there's the space for car seats! In case you didn't know this already, high schoolers are dumb.

Turns out SUVs are not only way more expensive, but dang gina... they drink gas like it's going out of style! I completely understand now why families- especially those with young kids- choose a minivan instead. Many times they are more economical, they are more accessible, and the dual automatic doors canNOT be beat. (My mom's van has those and I fall in love with them a little more each time I use her van) I love the space Miss Daisy has, too, even if that's the only thing I like about her. I have a toddler and another baby due in June and kids require more than just car seats. They have so many bags and stuff. It's wonderful having room for the stroller in the trunk, the car seat(s) in the middle row, plenty of space for whatever bags, toys, books, or blankets that are required, and then still have room for passengers in the back row! I think I'm turning into a space junkie.

And really, the minivan has come a long way since the 90s, when I was growing up. Now they're- dare I say it?- almost... cool.  Well okay, maybe that's stretching it a little too far. They're not as uncool. It's hard to jump into a vehicle (and you didn't even have to open the door yourself), settle into the leather seats, and start watching a movie and not think it's at least semi-cool. Although Miss Daisy has none of that. Huh.

Cool or not, I am a minivan mom. Sure, I might pick a Honda Pilot instead if I had the choice, but at this point in my life, a Honda Odyssey is a better option. And a really, really nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment